The New Hazelton RCMP have noticed a spike in the number of property-related crimes in the region, including theft from vehicles.
They are asking for the public's help to reduce the risk. The following are suggested ways you can keep your property safe:
- Lock your vehicle's doors at all times, even when parked at home.
- Make sure to leave your vehicle in well-lit open spaces when possible.
- Consider installing motion-sensor lights or security cameras that will light up where your car is parked overnight. Bright lights can act as a powerful deterrent.
- Remove valuable items like wallets, purses, phones, etc. from your vehicle before leaving it unattended. Cover or hide spare change, charging cords, garage door openers, etc.
- Don't leave wrapped gifts or shopping bags in view.
- Put away other items from your yard or patio that are visible from the street, to prevent thieves coming onto your property.
The RCMP reminds residents not to put yourself in an unsafe situation should you come across a crime being committed. Instead, call 9-1-1, and do not approach the individual.
If you have information about any criminal offence, you can call NH RCMP at 250-842-5244 or crime stoppers at 1800-222-8477